The Effort Certification Software System from IT Works automates your effort certification process and enables your institution to meet all federal time and effort certification mandates. It provides a platform for automated preparation, review, and certification of all information associated with time and effort certification. Effort Administrator, IT Works Effort Certification Software System, interfaces to industry standard payroll, GL, and ERP systems and is designed to operate as an institution’s time and effort system of record.
Web Enabled and Easy to Use
Our web enabled Effort Certification Software System is an internet-based solution that operates like an online banking system. An intuitive user interface is designed for administrators and research investigators, faculty, and staff. Key personnel can review and certify their own time or the time of their research team. Administrators can easily monitor the certification process of their entire team using:
- Data expanders for organizing uncertified effort data, previously certified effort data, as well as cost sharing and committed time
- An alert dashboard that identifies potential rule violations and employees whose effort has not been certified
- A Microsoft OutlookTM style folder system for organizing employee and project information by school, department, division, research team, or other organizational unit.
- User controlled search and filter systems to identify information for individual or groups of employees and projects
- An internal security system that limits and displays information appropriate for the user
Configurable to Your Institution’s Certification Policy
IT Works recognizes that effort certification policies vary by institution, so our effort certification software solution is designed to be easily configured and adapted to match your institution’s certification policy. During the initial implementation process, IT Works technical staff and project managers quickly configure the system to match your institutions:
- Certification calendar (monthly, quarterly, semester, annually, etc.)
- Attestation statement
- Terminology and naming conventions
- Account structure
- Sign-off and approval requirements
- Certified effort statement report format
- Logo and color scheme
IT Works Effort Certification Software System Supports Multiple Implementation Methods
Depending on an organization’s needs and policy, Effort Administrator can be configured to accept data by either one or a combination of methods:
- Payroll import
- Salary distribution
- Time sheet data entry
Review Effort by Employee or Projects
IT Works recognizes that time and effort management is reviewed in terms of both employees and projects. Our solution allows both. The employee review provides verification and/or review of:
- Total effort equaling 100% for each employee
- Sponsored research and institutional funds
- Compliance with agency salary cap regulations (including NIH) are maintained
- Compliance with institutional thresholds
- Cost sharing data
- Comparisons between actual time and committed effort
- Effort information by certification period, month, and pay period
At IT Works, we realize that effort certification is one of many parts of post-award grant and research management. And modification to effort on one project affects another. In addition, issues such as grant budget periods not aligning with institutional fiscal periods, such as fiscal year or effort certification period, complicate effort certification just as they do grant management as a whole. For these reasons, our Time and Effort Certification Software Solution is designed to support not only effort compliance management but post-award administration as well by displaying of effort by project.
Supports Workflow and Multi-level Approval and Certification Hierarchies
A flexible workflow system with multiple reviewer routing options allows the review and certification for individual or their research team. Implementation options include:
Workflow from Administrator to End User – Routing from administrator to end user typically involves three steps. First, salary or payroll information is imported or entered into the effort certification system. Second, a departmental or local research administrator reviews and approves this information for the employees within their department. After administrator review, the end user is notified by dashboard alerts and e-mail that their records are ready for review and certification. Finally, research faculty and staff (or their principal investigator) review and certify their time. Administrators may monitor this entire process via a dashboard and send e-mail notifications to prompt users to complete their certification statements if necessary.
Workflow from End User to Administrator – Routing approvals from end user to administrator or supervisor is most often used when certification requires supervisor verification of an end users effort (for a second or third signature). This workflow process allows supervisors to review an end user’s effort record modifications, assuming users have the access rights to modify records. It supports multiple signature levels that may be created dynamically or according to your institution’s organizational hierarchy.
Tracks Cost Sharing, Committed Effort and More
Effort Administrator manages effort data in percentages or hour increments and can track amounts paid for salaries and fringe benefits. Types of effort managed include:
- Percentage or hours worked
- Percent, hours or amount paid
- Percent, hours or amount cost shared
- Committed effort
E-mail Alerts Prompt Administrator, Faculty and Staff Participation
An e-mail alert system can be triggered upon completion of a workflow stage or prompt faculty and staff participation. Alerts may be used to notify individual and groups of users when:
- Records are available for certification
- Certification statements are outstanding and need to be completed promptly
- Staff certifications have been completed and are ready for supervisor approval
- Rule violations occur
Effort Administrator includes a comprehensive Effort Reporting Software System for generating certification statements and managerial reports needed for financial and compliance monitoring. For more information on our effort reporting functionality click here.
Contact IT Works for more information regarding our Effort Certification Software System.